Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Azulejos - Ceramic Tile Art in Lisbon









Tiles (called azulejos) are everywhere in Portugal. They decorate everything from walls of churches and monasteries, to palaces, ordinary houses, park seats, fountains, shops, and railway stations. They often portray scenes from the history of the country, show its most ravishing sights, or simply serve as street signs, nameplates, or house numbers.


Although they are not a Portuguese invention (the use of glazed tiles began in Egypt), they have been used more imaginatively and consistently in Portugal than in any other nation. They became an art form, and by the 18th century no other European country was producing as many tiles for such a variety of purposes and in so many different designs. Today, they still remain a very important part of the country's architecture. 


If you like to read on and would like to see more of the incredible tiles see here.


The tiles I photographed are the ones you see above. I loved them and it is really just a very small selection of what you can admire when visiting Lisbon.




I think this is grand!









Last but not least the tram... what would Lisbon be without? Definitely not Lisbon...


Have a good time! And visit Lisbon and see it's azulejos - if you can!

♥  Emilie's daughter ♥ 

pics by me

4 comments:

  1. The history of the Portuguese tiles goes way back to the days of the Jesuit priests bringing back porcelain from china..Arab influence from the moors.
    Its fascinating.
    Living here, we are used to seeing them all over . I never tire of them.
    Happy you enjoyed Lisbon Christa.
    val
    I do hope that you saw much more of our lovely City.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Christa , I am glad to see you again ! I am off the blogging a long time ,I missed but I have not so much time . It is nice that you visited Portugal and you share your moments with us .I wish you and your family be well !Have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We saw many beautiful tiles when we visited Portgual too. I would love to go to Lisbon and use the tram! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I live Portugal and the range of tiles you have shown are amazing. The house covered in the bright blue tiles is amazing

    ReplyDelete